Thursday, September 1, 2011

Eyecandy

Nothing is sweeter than makeup for my eyes, what a tasty treat.

I wear makeup almost everyday it's my favorite part of getting ready every morning. But I don't wear it as a comfort blanket or to 'hide' anything. I wear makeup (a lot of it) because it's how I express myself. People wear outfits, color their hair, have piercings, or tattoos; all forms of expression that make them feel more connected to who they are. Mine just so happens to include bountiful amounts of colors and designs that can be mixed and changed anytime I want.
Why bring this up?
A close friend of mine was confiding in me about how she is insecure and unhappy about how she looks. She uses makeup as a mask to keep herself from feeling ugly, saying she felt naked without it. I can understand, I feel quite drafty and nude without my own face painted like a Van Gogh, but there is a difference. A difference in the emotions that the two of us tie with makeup and the way we perceive ourselves. Here is what I said to her and have to say about that in general

As long as your expressing to yourself who you are, feel beautiful. You don't need a mask to show the world what they want, just to feel accepted or happy. You are your own best friend, you are your closest lover, please no one but you. When your satisfied with yourself you'll be satisfied with life.
Does that mean stop wearing makeup because you use it with a negative notion? No, wear it, wear as much (or little) as you want! But instead of thinking, "I'm fixing myself" think, "I'm expressing myself."

But that's just my opinion.


No comments: